How to Determine the Perfect Length for Social Media Videos
There are a lot of opinions out there about the perfect length of a social media video and a marketing video. Facebook will tell you to keep it to under 15 seconds. What?! Can you really communicate mad value in 15 seconds? Maybe. But here’s what I believe – it takes as long as it takes.
Put yourself in the viewers shoes as you write your script. If you want to find the perfect length for your marketing videos, ask yourself these questions:
- Does the value of the information match the time commitment required?
- Could I share this information more succinctly (without stripping my videos of personality)?
- Am I cutting valuable content just to make my videos fit some arbitrary recommended length?
- Does past analytic data of my videos support me keeping things shorter?
- Might the audience be better served if this information were broken into shorter videos?
The answers to these questions should help you determine what your ‘Goldilocks Length’ is. Because it’s not about how much you WANT to say or how much you CAN say, it’s how much information will be ‘just right’ for your viewer.